Shriners Hospital Boston is a highly specialized pediatric surgical care center located in the heart of the city.
It is considered one of the world’s preeminent hospitals for treating children with various burn conditions, complex skin conditions, and cleft lip and palate. Affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital and verified by a joint program of the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons, Shriners Hospitals for Children — Boston meets all of the demanding standards for organizational structure, personnel qualifications, facilities resources, and medical care services to ensure the best possible outcomes. All members of our staff are dedicated to providing the highest quality care in a family-centered environment.
A Center of Medical Excellence
Shriners Hospitals for Children — Boston first opened its doors on March 13, 1964 as a five-bed unit located on an interim basis at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH). In 1968, a new hospital was constructed next door to MGH and was later replaced with a larger hospital in 1999.
Today, the Boston Shriners Hospital is a 30-bed pediatric specialty hospital, research and teaching center. It is a world leader in pediatric burn care and is the only exclusively pediatric, verified burn center in New England. In addition to meeting the needs of children with burn injuries, Shriners Hospitals for Children — Boston also offers orthopedic care, cleft lip and palate expertise, and reconstructive and plastic surgery.
The hospital’s reputation is far reaching, with patients from over 70 countries having received lifesaving and reconstructive care from our specialists. The hospital staff practices family-centered care by providing resources and programs designed to assist the whole family during a child’s treatment.
- Relationships with 78 academic and medical institutions, including Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH), Harvard Medical School, Boston Children’s Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. A member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network.
- Attending physicians hold teaching appointments at Harvard Medical School and are affiliated with MGH.
- Received the Press Ganey Summit Award for six consecutive years for patient satisfaction in outpatient services.
- Annual outreach clinics provide services to children in Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. Professional education and outreach are provided in Latin America, the Caribbean, and Eastern Europe. Additionally, we partner with non-governmental organizations from around the globe to provide advanced medical care to aid children in need.
- Over 100 research papers are published every year by our doctors, researchers, and clinical staff in high impact professional journals, including Nature, Science, New England Journal of Medicine, and Annals of Surgery.
- Affiliated with 28 Shrine temples throughout New England, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Canada.
Shriners Hospital for Children
Shriners Hospitals for Children® is a health care system of 22 hospitals dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing pediatric specialty care, innovative research, and outstanding teaching programs for medical professionals.